How Often Should Your Carpet Be Professionally Cleaned?
Active kids running through the house, pets coming in from the yard, and indoor get-togethers with friends and family all lead to the same thing: dirty carpets. While regular vacuuming keeps your carpets looking fresh, there usually comes a time when professional cleaning is needed. The question many people have is just how often that professional job is required.
Here’s what you need to know.
Different Homes, Different Guidelines
The Carpet and Rug Institute recommends a professional deep-clean of carpets every 12 to 18 months. However, its recommendation is merely a guideline. How often you need to bring in the pros varies based on your particular circumstances. For instance, homes with multiple pets, young children, or someone who smokes might need deep cleaning more frequently; say, every six to 12 months.
Ultimately, the decision comes down to lifestyle and personal preferences. Factors you might want to consider when deciding how often to have your carpets professionally cleaned include:
- How much foot traffic does each carpet receive?
- Do you have light- or dark-colored carpeting?
- Do any family members have allergies or other respiratory issues?
- Does everyone wear shoes in the house?
You also want to check whether your carpet’s warranty requires a particular professional cleaning schedule to stay in effect. Rules vary, but it isn’t uncommon for some manufacturers to require “water extracted” or steam-cleaning performed every 12 to 18 months.
DIY Carpet Cleaning
In between professional cleanings, you should vacuum at least once a week to extend the life of your carpets. Vacuuming is a great way to remove loose particles on the carpet’s surface before they either leave a stain or make their way deeper into the fabric, where they irritate its fibers. The more regularly you vacuum yourself, the longer you can wait between professional deep cleanings.
If you like to use your own wet carpet cleaner occasionally, here are a few common homeowner mistakes to avoid.
- Don’t over-wet or shampoo. If too much water sinks to the bottom of the carpet, the fabric can become discolored. It also increases the risk of mold and mildew. And using too much shampoo can leave behind a soapy residue that leaves the carpeting more susceptible to attracting dirt.
- Avoid placing furniture on wet carpeting. If any of your furniture pieces have metal feet, they could leave rust stains. Other materials can also leave stains if they come into contact with the carpet for an extended time.
- Limit or avoid the use of carpet deodorizers and stain removers. Repeated use of either of these products can cause significant buildup and actually make your carpet dirtier. Instead, try a natural solution like baking soda to freshen your carpets.
Call a Professional Carpet Cleaner
CLEAN Choice Cleaning & Restoration offers professional carpet cleaning services for homeowners throughout Baltimore, Howard, Anne Arundel, Carroll, and Northern Prince George’s counties, including Baltimore City and Annapolis.
For over 30 years, our IICRC-certified technicians have been providing exceptional carpet cleaning services, combining state-of-the-art equipment with certified 100% eco-friendly, non-toxic cleaning products that eliminate germs, bacteria, mold, mildew, and odors. To learn more about all our floor covering services, including rug cleaning, rug repair, and pet damage repair, call us at (410) 978-6050 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.
Let us know how we can help! Fill out our form, and one of our team members will reach out to you shortly.
Trust Our Certified Experts for Quality Service
- IICRC Certified Firm & Technicians
- CRI-SOA Certified
- GREEN Certified Cleaner
- WoolSafe Certified
- Master Rug Cleaner