How To Use Baking Soda as Carpet Cleaner
Using baking soda as a carpet cleaner can help to freshen and revitalize your carpets in between regular professional cleanings.
Baking soda is an inexpensive solution that is safe for your entire family and the environment; it will even help to get rid of odors and stains with ease. You can just sprinkle it on the floor before you vacuum to revitalize the carpet.
Depending on the type of stains you have, you will also find that using baking soda in different ways might be your best bet.
Removing Non-Greasy Stains
Non-greasy stains stains don’t have an underlying residue to them. To remove them, all you need to do is:
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the entire stain.
- Lightly mist the stain with some hot water (You’ll need a spray bottle for this).
- Keeping the area damp, you will want to allow the mixture to sit for a minimum of 3 hours, but longer if possible. This can be something you do at night before you go to bed or before you leave for work.
- Leaving a damp washcloth on top of the stain can help keep it damp so you won’t have to continue misting it
- After you have let the stain sit, all you will need to do is vacuum the area and the stain should be gone. If the you can still see some of the stain you can repeat this process as often as necessary to make sure you get it all out.
Greasy Stain Removal
Not all stains are going to be simple for you to clean up. If there is any grease in the stain, you will need to take a different approach to help remove it. Try these four steps:
- To start, use a rag or paper towel to blot the stain, removing as much of the grease as possible. Be careful not to rub the grease; this will cause it to set in the carpet and can damage the carpet fibers.
- After you have thoroughly blotted, sprinkle dry baking soda on the stain and allow it to sit overnight. The longer that you allow it to sit, the more grease it will be able to absorb.
- In the morning, you will want to vacuum the area thoroughly. If you can’t see the stain anymore, you’re all done! If the stain is still visible, take a little dish soap (about the size of a dime to start) and begin to blot it into the stain to help cut through the grease.
- Immediately follow with water and a towel to start blotting up the soapy residue. Always remember to blot so you don’t spread the grease or cause any damage to the carpet fibers.
- Finally, dry the area until it is slightly damp. Sprinkle another layer of baking soda onto the stain and allow it to sit for at least 3 hours before vacuuming the area again.
Removing Tough Pet Odors
If you have pets, then you know how messy and smelly they can be. Fortunately, baking soda can help to remove the “pet smell” and bring back the fresh smell. Just follow these steps and your guests won’t even know you have any pets.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on the area of the room that the pet frequents, or sprinkle it on the entire room to make sure you don’t miss any odors. Allow it to sit for 1 to 2 hours. (Try to keep pets out of the area to make sure they don’t track white paw prints everywhere.)
- After 1 to 2 hours, vacuum the area thoroughly. Now it should smell fresh once again.
- This process can be repeated as often as necessary. Getting rid of pet odors couldn’t be any easier.
- When it comes to pet urine odor removal, it is probably best you contact the professionals.
Freshening Efforts Using the Vacuum
As you are vacuuming your carpets and doing what you can to improve their appearance and smell, it is important to remember that the cleanliness of your vacuum has an impact. It is important to take the time to routinely clean out the bag and add a little baking soda to replacement bags.
If you prefer a smell that’s a little stronger you can add a little cinnamon into the bag to help keep it smelling good. More tips here on Vacuum: http://www.wikihow.com/Vacuum-a-Rug
You can use baking soda as often as you’d like to help keep your home looking clean and smelling fresh. You can even do a routine carpet sprinkling once a month or when you change the bag; using that as a time to help enhance the smell of the room. That way, you have fresh, clean carpets each month that look new and you can be comfortable having your guests visit without worrying about any stains or odors.
No matter what approach you take, it is important to have baking soda on hand. Consider mixing together your baking soda with some cinnamon, cloves or your favorite dry herbs in equal parts for a more aromatic result.
“Clean Choice is the only way to go. I went through several companies before I found them. They do a fantastic job every time.”Tim Savalina in Pasadena, MD
“Clean Choice has cleaned the carpets in two of my houses and I have been amazed at how great they look. The carpets, both over 10 years old, look brand new. I was sure I was going to have to replace them but decided to try and have them cleaned first and I am so glad I did. Keith is extremely passionate about his job and very dedicated to providing the best service possible. I have already referred them to several of my friends and will continue to do so in the future.”Elizabeth Bare in Columbia, MD