New Rug Backing
Picture the characteristics of your favorite rug. The fibers that give the rug its color or pattern probably come to mind first. But the rug backing is an equally important component. You may never see it without flipping the rug over, but the backing gives the rug strength, dimensional stability, and an added layer of protection.
If the backing on your specialty rug is deteriorating, have it repaired before the damage gets any worse. CLEAN Choice Cleaning & Restoration can perform a job well done! We have been repairing rugs in the Baltimore and Annapolis area for over 30 years.
To learn more about getting a new rug backing, please call us at (410) 978-6050 or contact us online today.
What is a Rug Backing?
Rug backings are an essential part of rug construction. Depending on the backing your rug has, you may want to place a rug pad beneath it to protect your floors and improve non-skid properties. Here are the most common rug backings and the purposes they serve:
- Non-skid latex material backing helps keep tufted rugs in place.
- Most machine-made wool area rugs have heat-set backings designed to hold the knots in place and let the fibers breathe.
- Felt and other natural or synthetic fabric backings also allow rug fibers to breathe.
- Heavy cotton backings are often used to protect the intricate threads of embroidered needlepoint rugs.
- Woven rugs have no additional backing. You know your rug has a woven backing if you still see the design when you flip it over.
Broken rug backings may appear dry and brittle, or pieces may start flaking or peeling off. You may also notice signs of a broken backing from the front, including fibers falling out and the rug buckling or stretching out.
Contact CLEAN Choice to arrange free rug pickup in Annapolis or Baltimore if your rug backing is deteriorating. We’ll repair the backing and return your rug to you as quickly as possible!
Why Do Rug Backings Break?
A broken rug backing is frustrating, but fortunately, the damage is repairable. Consider some of these reasons why rug backings break:
- Heavy foot traffic: Years of walking on your rug can tear the backing, especially if the rug is situated on wall-to-wall carpeting.
- Furniture: Setting heavy furniture atop a rug can stretch the fibers and backing, sometimes causing tears and holes to form.
- Pet damage: An energetic dog or curious cat may reach their paws under your rug and scratch the backing, making it deteriorate faster.
- Heat, water, and sun damage: These elements may damage the backing as they penetrate the rug fibers over the years.
Whether or not you can pinpoint the cause of your broken rug backing, CLEAN Choice can fix it! Give us a call at (410) 978-6050 to learn more.
Getting Your Rug Backing Replaced
No matter what type of rug backing you have or how it has been damaged, it’s essential to get it replaced to preserve the structural integrity of your prized area or throw rug. The experts at CLEAN Choice can protect your rug’s quality, look, and long life by replacing its damaged backing. We conduct repairs from our 4,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility headed by our master weaver.
Why Choose CLEAN Choice for Rug Backing Replacement?
CLEAN Choice is a family-owned and -operated business with three generations of experience to back us up. We proudly serve our Maryland customers with competitive pricing, quality services, and an excellent customer satisfaction rating. If you need a new rug backing, give us a call, and we’ll arrange free rug pickup and delivery service from your home or business. We’re also happy to help you roll and load your rug into our vehicle.
To request a free estimate for rug backing replacement in the Baltimore and Annapolis area, please call (410) 978-6050 or contact us online today.