How to Choose the Best Area Rug for Your Home
When decorating a room, sometimes an area rug is just what you need to complete the look. A rug can be a defining feature of a room, or it can blend in and quietly serve a function. No matter the reasoning for wanting an area rug, there are a lot of things to consider before buying one.
Here is our guide to choosing the best area rug for your home:
Types of Rugs
Tufts of fibers are punched through a canvas backing and covered in latex adhesive to hold it all together, then the top loops are sheared off to give the illusion of a woven pile rug. Not sure if it’s tufted? If the back is covered in material that is different from the front, then chances are it’s tufted. These are rugs that you would normally shop for at mass retailers, as they are easily mass produced.
- Pros: Designs available to fit every style, inexpensive to replace when you want a new look, readily available at stores like Pottery Barn, Home Goods & Ethan Allen.
- Cons: Easily stains, construction deteriorates more quickly than other types of rugs, adhesive backing starts to emit odors as it breaks down over time.
- Durability: These rugs are great if you want to continue to change up your look, but they don’t hold up well to lots of foot traffic, kids & pets. Typically, you will need to replace this rug after about 5 years.
Wool fibers are knotted around vertically stretched threads on a large loom; the threads act as a foundation and create the fringe on the ends of the rug. Most hand knotted rugs are commonly referred to as Oriental and Persian. With the handmade construction of these rugs, they can take months or even years to complete.
- Pros: Each design is unique to the individual weaver and region, construction will last a lifetime, maintains its value when properly cared for.
- Cons: More expensive to purchase, less design variety, not as readily available due to weaving time.
- Durability: These are among the most durable rugs. They can last hundreds of years because of how meticulously they are constructed. With proper care and regular professional cleanings, you can count on this rug to last a lifetime.
Wool fibers are twisted together to create the thick pile surface and woven into some type of cotton backing. These rugs are created with longer fibers to create the plush pile. Due to the thickness of pile they are among the most difficult to maintain.
- Pros: Come in a variety of colors and depths, provide extra cushion and comfort, add texture to any room.
- Cons: Pile crushes more easily than other rugs, hard to maintain and keep looking clean, fibers discolor quickly.
- Durability: These rugs are more for appearance than for function. If properly cared for and professionally cleaned, they can maintain their appeal for about 3-5 years. If you have kids, pets, or lots of foot traffic, this is definitely not the way to go.
What Size Rug Should I Get?
The size of the room and the way your furniture is arranged both play a large factor in the correct rug size for your space.
- Living Room: There are countless arrangements that will work in this room, but in general, your rug should be large enough that it will fit either all four legs or both front legs of a piece of furniture.
- Dining Room: For this space, the rug needs to be large enough that the chairs remain on it even when pushed back from the table.
- Bedroom: For this space, the rug should frame the bed. That means you need an 8×10 for a queen and 9×12 for a king.
Choose CLEAN Choice for Area Rug Cleaning Services
Once you’ve chosen the perfect area rug for your space, you’ll want to keep it clean and beautiful. CLEAN Choice Cleaning & Restoration offers the most “complete clean” with our 9-step submersion area rug cleaning, which exceeds IICRC, CRI, and WoolSafe industry standards. It’s sure to leave your fine rugs free of dirt, odors, and residue. Each rug is cleaned individually to avoid cross-contamination with other rugs. The extensive knowledge of our Certified Master Rug Cleaner and thorough cleaning guarantee your rugs have never been cleaned like this before!
Let us know how we can help! Fill out our form, and one of our team members will reach out to you shortly.
Trust Our Certified Experts for Quality Service
- IICRC Certified Firm & Technicians
- CRI-SOA Certified
- GREEN Certified Cleaner
- WoolSafe Certified
- Master Rug Cleaner